Career Advice

New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: Advice
Topic Originator: Gina Spears
Post Date July 14, 2008 @ 11:03 AM
Advice

Gina Spears
July 14, 2008 @ 11:03 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I'm in the beginning stage of starting a Medical Billing service and I would like to talk/email with someone that is already in the business that can answer some of my questions. I have some general questions or concerns about a Medical Billing business before I put anymore money into the business. Please anyone that has experience with the business and is currently working/own a business I would appreciate any help you can give me on my questions. I'm located in the Northern VA/Washington DC area if there is anyone in my area would be great also. My email is codingclaims@gmail.com. Thanks!!

Steve Verno
July 14, 2008 @ 11:17 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

You're taking the right step.  Asking questions and undergoing training.

It wont be easy starting your business, but this is the same with any business.  Marketing yourself will not be easy either.  This is because others are in the same situation as you.  You can imagine how many visits and calls a doctors office receives every day from people i starting out.

I would suggest interning in an office to get the feel of working claims and gaining the experience you will need.  You will see first hand the problems doctors offices face with insurance companies and patients who dont want to or cant pay.  

Once you feel comfortable with any situation, then feel free o start on your own.  Here you can gain friends, influence people and know those already in the business.

Go to some of the local trade shows to meet and greet your peers, in addition to learning something special that might not have been taught in schools.  

Good Luck and much success

Gina Spears
July 14, 2008 @ 12:04 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Steve thank you so much for your advice. I have worked in the Insurance and Medical field for many years but left when my son was born. I'm now volunteering at a Medical Office one day a week so I can get back into it and familiarize myself with the billing again before starting my own business. I'm also taking online classes to prepare to take the CPC exam...I know it's not needed to start a Medical Billing but I think it's a great marketing tool. I have questions like if your a full service Medical Business and you post charges and payments for the physician how does the physician office see these charges on their end (at their office computer). I can only see this if your not using a web-based software, this software is very expensive. Should you purchase the same software that the physician uses, if so what if you have 4 physicians using 4 different softwares?? These are the simple kind of questions I have about the business.

steveverno
July 15, 2008 @ 2:06 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I had 3 clients where I used their billing software, logging in from home using a secure vpn networkand remote access which comes with Windows Vista. Worked real nice and was verty secure.  It helps to have a broadband internet.  I was able to run reports, post payments, and work AR Recovery from my kitchen office.

Dan Young
July 24, 2008 @ 5:20 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hello Gina,

WE bill for clients across the country using a web-based sofftware that is economical to use and is user friendly.

go to www.kareo.com and check it out.  When you contact them, tell them I sent you.

This program is better than setting up a VPN and allows many offices within a practice to have the same system.  The office managers are given permissions to see certain things, such as running their own reports, how up to date the claim submissions are, the payment velocity, documents that they scan into the patient and client accounts.

We give each provider a CardScan so they can scan the patient insurance cards and ID cards into each patient's records.

Let me know if this helps.

Jonathan Cholak
August 7, 2008 @ 2:22 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hey Steve,

I have read many of your comments and suggestions and wanted to say to you are a very knowledgeable person.  I am or kinda am in the same situation as Gina- the lady who is deciding to open her own business. I have worked in a medical billing practice and in the process of opening my own business, but have some personal concerns about the industry that no one on this website could really answer.  Can you please email me jonathan_cholak@yahoo.com   I just wanted to ask you some questions and maybe you could help me.  I am a young man and don't want to get into something that I think will be fruitless in the end.

Thank
Jonathan Cholak

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc