Medical Billing Coding - If you don't use it you lose it!, cpt, codes
medical billing and coding forum

BC Advantage Magazine

Billing-Coding.com

(FORUM HOME)

Career Advice

New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: If you don't use it you lose it!
Topic Originator: Michele
Post Date July 16, 2008 @ 8:57 AM
If you don't use it you lose it!

Michele
July 16, 2008 @ 8:57 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I passed my CPC three years ago and still have not found a job in my area. I live in a rural area where you can thank God you have a job. I know what you are thinking, travel. I did that for two years to get my CPC and they paid me 12.00 an hour but because gas cost 200. a week 5 years ago I was only making 6.00 an hr or less. I just can not make that sacrifice. Until things get better(haha) how do I keep my coding up? I couldn't code a simple xray report if I tried now! I want to get my CCS for hospital coding to expand my credentialing but am afraid I am wasting my time. Maybe I pick the wrong field to be in, in the area in which I live. My question is, does anyone know where to keep refreshing myself online for free, other then BC actual coding to help me keep my experience.

Pevans
July 16, 2008 @ 7:31 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hi,

Are you an active member of AAPC?  If not please join up at www.aapc.com

Jobs are posted, traveling and remote.  All kinds of coding information so you can stay abreast of the new changes going on.

Pevans

Michele
July 17, 2008 @ 8:19 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I have been a member of AAPC for 4 years and BC Advantage for almost a year. I am constantly check more then just one website for jobs. The problem is I am not coding and have not coded going on 4 years. I could not code out of a wet paper bag and it doesn't look like it is going to get any better. The Hospital here is hiring RN's and more RN's are taking our jobs. Do I blame them? No! But If I knew what I know now maybe I would of picked a better profession. I am wondering if there is any websites that are geared for just coding?

Pevans
July 17, 2008 @ 2:52 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Michele,

Try this website:  www.justcoding.com

Where I work we have nurses but none no how to code and I am surprised they don't want to learn.  I work at a major health insurance company.

Pevans

Pevans
July 17, 2008 @ 2:53 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Typo correction - no s/b know*

lmoore
July 17, 2008 @ 3:23 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

There are some coding companies that hire coders to work from home and code charts on-line.  Some hospitals and doctor offices will some times allow a coder to work from home.  Charts can be sent to the coder through E-fax which is HIPPA compliant.  The client can fax charts to the coder through e-fax and e-fax converts the file into a file for the coder to view on-line and code.  

Just a path you might not have thought of.

Good Luck!!!

nancy
July 18, 2008 @ 3:23 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Just a friendly suggestion: how about if you applied for any job in the medical records department at your local hospital? You would at least have your foot in the door, and you would be able to become familiar with the environment again.
Good luck!

tjj
July 26, 2008 @ 7:18 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I agree if you do not keep up with coding you do loose it. I am learning that right now the hard way. And I did the same thing I went into another field as the money was not good for my experince in my area they the providers only want to pay 10.00 to 12.00 an hour coding and I would have to drive every day for an hour and with gas I would be working 3 days for free and the traffic is way out of control. But now I wish I would of kept up on my coding so hang in there and try to get your hands on any coding that you can practice sheets do your BC CEU's as this will help keep you up on coding and help you keep the speed.

From one coder to another good luck. Just remember what you had to go through to get you CPC and then you let expire you have to start all over again just a thought.

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc