Medical Billing Coding - Do I need to get certified, if i have deploma, cpt, codes
medical billing and coding forum

BC Advantage Magazine


Career Advice

New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: Do I need to get certified, if i have deploma
Topic Originator: Simone
Post Date March 15, 2005 @ 9:52 AM
Do I need to get certified, if i have deploma

March 15, 2005 @ 9:52 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I am new to the Medical Billing profession and I don't know if i need to be certified?

March 15, 2005 @ 10:03 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I work for a large Medical Group. You need to have some coding/schooling to be considered for employment. They prefer you be nationally certified. If not nationally certified when hired, you must obtain certification within a year.

Lisa Paoli
March 18, 2005 @ 11:07 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

You don't need to be certified, I didn't get certified until I was in business 4 years.  Some certifications are hard and you need hands on experience before hand.  You just need to keep going to seminars and keep joining groups to be educated, that's the important thing.  Rules and Regulations change so much and you keeping informed shows responsiblity to the providers.

Lisa Paoli, CMRS
MedOffice Solutions
Member of AMBA, PMRNC Billers, MAB, & NEBA
President of the Local AMBA on IL

March 18, 2005 @ 2:27 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Barb, is that a National law that you must be certified within 12 months of employment? or just your company policy?

I am located in Utah.


PS Thanks Lisa for your reply also.

Terry Knight
March 18, 2005 @ 6:30 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Billing certification is something that is being pushed by the U.S. Office of the Inspector General of the Small Business Administration, which refers to certification to submit bills to Medicare and Medicaid. This is a certification that will be, or is, Administered by the Health Care Finance Administration (HCFA) and is a certification you will only need to consider getting if you get into business for yourself, and at which time you'll have to contact the proper authorities. If you go to work for a billing company, chances are they are already certified, or are a "Preferred Medicare Biller." Such a certification, as far as we know, is not necessary.
Terry Knight

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc