Medical Billing Coding - Torn between going to school or not?, cpt, codes
medical billing and coding forum

BC Advantage Magazine

Career Advice

New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: Torn between going to school or not?
Topic Originator: Amanda
Post Date August 24, 2008 @ 5:27 PM
Torn between going to school or not?

August 24, 2008 @ 5:27 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I am trying to get into the billing/ coding field. I took a medical terminology class and am hoping to get into a entry level job. Do i have to go back to school for this? or can i get that entry level position and do some training classes then get certified? anyone know?

August 25, 2008 @ 1:47 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

You need to take coding classes at least to get into coding which will be offered in any of community colleges then you can go for entry level jobs. After one year of experience you can go for AHIMA, OR AAPC certification.

steve verno
August 25, 2008 @ 7:47 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Nothing can replace school training.

Today, with all of the complexities of medial coding and billing, trying to use a forum to teach yourself coding or billing is not a good idea.  Ive seen the disasterous results personally.  

One of my students came to class after getting a job at a practice, the first thing she said was, "These people dont know what they are doing."  She would always ask me quesions about what they were doing or what they told her to do."  My response was usually that what the pracrice said or was doing, was completelt wrong.  

DO NOT try to teach yourself and DO NOT ask tons of questions on a forum to learn what proper training will teach you.

Get your foot in th door, go to school, gain some experience by doing things right through what you were taught in school, then go for your certification.  Do things the right way. Good luck.

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc