Career Advice

New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: Advice
Topic Originator: Angel
Post Date September 8, 2008 @ 11:59 PM
Advice

Angel
September 8, 2008 @ 11:59 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I graduated from Billing and Coding course 2 years ago but until now I can't get a job because most companies are hiring experience people and certified by the state not just from school. I've been spending money for sending faxes and application forms plus applying to the internet job opening  they send to my email , and my interviews and test from each company went great but still the same reason. Is there any company that let the newcomers in the field of billing and coding do the job by training them?, I even applied for volunteer or sometimes no salary at all just to let me in the position that I would love to fill in because taking CPC exam requires experience. My school said that If you get 180 hours from school that could be waived as one experience or so but I had 1000 hours is it possible that I could just waive my hours so I can take my state exam?. Please tell me what to do, I even sent an email to my local chapter but no avail. Thank you very much.

Linda Walker
September 9, 2008 @ 7:07 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Are you looking only at working for a medical billing company? If so you are putting too much limitations on yourself. Check with your local hospital's and doctors offices, they would be more apt to hire someone before a medical billing company.

Linda Walker
Practice Managers Resource & Networking Community
www.billerswebsite.com

Angel
September 10, 2008 @ 4:57 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hi Linda,
           Thank you so much for your response. I'm looking for both positions (biller or coder) whatever the open position is. I tried  a lot of places everybody has the same answers " Sorry but we're looking for someone that have experience" I'd been rejected so many times but still doing my best to get into the position in billing or coding or both, I just don't understand sometimes, how can somebody get experience if they don't let them do the job. I tried the local hospitals and physician offices they said that I have to be certified but even if I'm certified I still need to have a 2 years experience same thing with volunteering or no salary. Anyway, thank you again.

Marynza
September 10, 2008 @ 8:59 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Does the school you went to offer lifetime job placement assistance? They can't get you a job but they can alert you to companies that they know are likely to hire their grads, compainies that are willing to interview you. luck is when opportunity and preparation meet.

Linda Walker
September 11, 2008 @ 11:05 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Do you have any health insurance carriers in your area? If so go to them they will train you and the experience you get there will be INVALUABLE later.. try the other side.. It's how I got my start. Carriers like BCBS, Aetna, Cigna, they all have terrific training programs and great benefits.

F Tessa Bartels
February 12, 2009 @ 12:14 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Angel,
You CAN sit for the CPC exam without 2 years experience. If you pass you will receive the CPC-A ... the "A" stands for apprentice. You get the "A" off when you've completed the experience requirement.
If you've completed an accredited school program, I'd suggest you sit for the exam. Those initials behind your name will help in your job search.
F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

Ann
March 25, 2009 @ 5:59 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hi Linda,
Thanks for that advice on going to insurance companies.  I live near Hartford,CT which is one of the insurance capitals of the country.  I will definitely look into that when I get my certification.

Angel
March 29, 2009 @ 6:22 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hello it's me Angel I just want to thank all the people here in the BC Advantage Forums for spending time reading my messages and responded as well, Thanks.

Angels
March 30, 2009 @ 12:59 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I'm from florida and most of the companies here  are hiring people with license by the state and not just from school certificate plus 2 or 3 years experience especially the hospitals. Some of the companies that I had my interviews told me that they're not very sure about hiring newly graduate or even for volunteer because of mistakes that might happen while doing the billing and coding job and that will costs them a lot of penalties. Our school didn't provide an internship/externship program for billing and coding course but some schools do, my school was not very helpful at all. Right now most companies are freeze hiring due to the economy that's been down lately. I'm not losing hope and will not stop finding a job that's related to what I learned. I would like to thank all of you in this forum that give advices to those people with a lot of concerns in medical field of billing and coding, Thanks.

Angel
September 11, 2008 @ 2:31 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hello Marynza,
                   Thank you very much for your reply. Anyway when I enrolled to the school that I attended to they said that they have a job placement assistance, externship, and they will pay for my CPC exam but when we're about to graduate like one week before the graduation they said that they will only help the medical assistant students and other courses but not the medical billing and coding students that we have to sell ourselves to get into the world of billing and coding and they're not gonna pay the CPC exam. Most of my classmates are now working in stores and some other places because they can't get the job too, same reason as mine. Yesterday I had a phone interview from some medical company and they reviewed my resume and they asked me if I'm certified by the states and have experience I told her the truth that I don't have any outfield experience but I have all the skills that a medical biller and coder can do I told her just give me a chance to proved that I can do the job but she said that whenever I get certified and get experience let her know. Again, another rejection. I'm losing hope sometimes because some people when they get certified still they can't get the job because of no experience . I don't have this feeling of excitement anymore to take the exam and pay $400.00 and then still you can't get the job. Sometimes I'm thinking that maybe some companies don't have time to train new people and worried that they will lose a lot of money from new people thinking that they will always make mistakes. I'm just hoping that one day there's this company that's so willing to train newcomers in billing and coding. Thank you so much again.

anonymous2
March 29, 2009 @ 9:59 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Can I ask, what state requires and issues certification???

Also can you provide any documentation or reference to this.

steve verno
March 30, 2009 @ 1:51 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Angels

I too am from Florida, I contacted the Florida Division of Licensing and Professional Regulation and Florida does not license or certify medical coders or billers.  You are correct, most employers want someone cerified with experience.  But that is an employer requirment, not a State requirement.  It is also not a requirement to be licensed and certified per Florida Statute, Title 32, Chapters 454 thru 493.

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc