Schools / Colleges

New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: question for Steve
Topic Originator: Patricia Orr
Post Date February 10, 2009 @ 3:02 PM
question for Steve

Patricia Orr
February 10, 2009 @ 3:02 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hi, I wanted to get your opinion better yet anyone feel free to chime in. How long does it take to realistically learn medical coding to the point of passing either the CPC or CCS exam?  Do you think it could be taught in 8-12 weeks  combined with a medical billing course?  Just curious??????

steve verno
February 10, 2009 @ 8:40 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

That depends on three factors:

1)  The devotion of the student to take the training and to be there for all of the training.

2)  The course cirriculum

3)  The credentials and experience of the instructor.  

If you have a student wh misses many classes, if the cirriculum does not promote a good learning environment and if the instructor has no background or training as a coder and instructor, then you have a formula for disaster.

As I have said many times, I relieved an instructor who had no background, training or experience in coding or billing, All she had was her BS degree.  The students spent their time just reading the coding manual. The instructor couldnt answer their questions. In my first class, I had one student sho showed 45 minues to an hour late for class.  She never came back after the first break. Her time in class was spent in the back, text messaging someone.  She was admninistratively dropped from the course per my recommendation.  The students who showed at every class, did their homework and stayed in class, did extremenely well on their test.  The test I developed prepared them for the CPC test.  It had the same timeframe as the CPC and the same grading standards.  I had one student come back smiling saying when she opened the test booklet, she said to herself, "I know these questions."    Im not saying Im an expert instructor, but I had more than 30 years experience in teaching,  The Dean and other professors thought I had a Masters in teaching.  I freely admitted I was nothing more than a high schol graduate.  I did have my instructor and instructor trainer certificates as well as my coding/billing certifications, as well as my Red Cross College Instructor Trainer course certificate in my school file. That was enhanced by my Army Train The Trainer Certificate.  I hope his helps.

February 11, 2009 @ 10:25 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Thank you, you just confirmed what I thought, having an instructor with a degree does not qualify.  Reading a textbook and answering questions does not prepare a student for success.  I think with intense training maybe one could learn coding in 12 weeks but as you stated you must attend and participate each time. However, without a qualified instructor, this is a disaster waiting to happen.

steve verno
February 11, 2009 @ 1:05 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

If done in the right way with a superb instructor, you can teach it in 2 days.

12 weeks could be much better along with tons of inclass hands on coding experiences.

In one 12 week class, the moment the class started at 6pm, they took a coding test that lasted the entire session.  They were drained by the end of the evening but at the end, they turned out as excellent coders.

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc