Schools / Colleges

New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: AHIMA
Topic Originator: BarbB
Post Date July 9, 2010 @ 11:09 AM
AHIMA

BarbB
July 9, 2010 @ 11:09 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I am interested in training in medical coding.  I've been an x-ray tech for 36 years so I have a good medical background.  Is AHIMA the governing organization for coders?  I was thinking of taking their program as I wanted an accredited program.  Has anyone taken the course through them?  Any other suggestions for training would be very helpful.

Thanks.

Barb

valentine
December 11, 2010 @ 8:23 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I realize this is an old question, but I thought others might have the same question. The 2 main coding organizations are AAPC and AHIMA. There are others, but these 2 are the only ones that are nationally recognized.

Your previous medical experience will be very helpful to your career, but obviously, you  need some formal coding training. You can either go to a local college and take their billing/coding program or both AHIMA and AAPC have coding programs you can take through them.

Honestly, all programs are basically the same, they all teach the same basic curriculum. So where you end up taking your program is up to you.

After you graduate, you really should sit for one of the nationally recognized certification tests, as you can no longer compete in this field without be certified.

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc