Medical Billing Coding - Pass Coding cert without formal training?, cpt, codes
medical billing and coding forum

BC Advantage Magazine

Billing-Coding.com

(FORUM HOME)

Schools / Colleges

New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: Pass Coding cert without formal training?
Topic Originator: April
Post Date September 15, 2010 @ 4:23 PM
Pass Coding cert without formal training?

April
September 15, 2010 @ 4:23 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I know you all may laugh yourselves off the chair with this question, but I was wondering if it is possible to pass the coding cert test without going through a formal school?  

I am a medical transcriptionist wanting so badly to get into billing AND coding, but my husband says he can't justify the course fees because of the difficulty of even finding a job as biller/coder.  My desire is to someday work in a hospital environment.

He himself has gotten very far in his field just on certifications alone, all of which he has studied for himself and never attending school to pass them.

Is this unrealistic for me to attempt this?

Jenna S. - Medical Coding
October 4, 2010 @ 6:19 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Unfortuneately, you will need some kind of training to pass a certification exam, such as that offered by the AAPC.  The examination is extremely detailed and really require in-depth knowledge in the subject matter. If you are a medical transcriptionist, you probably have tremendous working knowledge of medical terminology. You can always test out of terminology and just take a coding course. Some vocational schools, such as Allied Medical School - www.medicalcodingcourses.com - offer courses for a reasonable amount of money and prepare you for certification. Just a thought - this may be an avenue toward your coding career.

Sandra D. Hicks, CPC, CEMC
October 6, 2010 @ 3:22 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I teach a medical billing/coding course - 80 hours - I have about a 60% pass rate of my students passing the CPC exam on the 1st shot.  It is a lot of information crammed into three months, but if they work hard, they will learn it and be able to pass.  You, having already been familiar with terminology, are a step ahead of a lot of people.  I say get the books, study it, take a practice exam and go for it - the worst thing that can happen, is you fail - then you learn from it, study some more and take it again.  Confidence is Key!!

Sherri
October 6, 2010 @ 3:55 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I passed my CPC test first try and I never took any classes.  I had about five years experience in coding and billing, but never took any formal classes.  All of what I knew was from self teaching.  If you make your mind up to do it, then you can accomplish it.

Mary-Ellen
October 6, 2010 @ 6:26 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Yes, you can pass teh certification exam without attending a certified course.  I did not attendany formal program but did a lot of studying on my own.  Ia m certified as a CPC and CPC-H.  Good luck

Carmina
October 7, 2010 @ 12:14 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I passed the first time I took it without taking any formal training classes (although I had several years billing experience).

April Jerold, CPC
October 8, 2010 @ 9:35 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I have 32 years experience as manager/biller/coder but didn't have a strong background in anatomy or hospital-based billing. I studied at home for three months, read the CPT and ICD9 books cover to cover and passed the exam on the first try with a high grade. If you use due diligence you can do it on your own!

Trisha
April 20, 2013 @ 9:39 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hi would like to ask what books do I need or good for self study? Thank u

Licensed AAPC Instructor
April 30, 2013 @ 10:53 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

CPC online training. Taught live with AAPC certified instructors.  For details visit www.physicode.com

Kim
May 15, 2013 @ 10:27 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hi,
I read your comments, where do I take the test to become certified without going to school?

Thanks

Amy
June 10, 2013 @ 9:33 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I would also like to know how you sit for the CPC exam without formal schooling?

Sonya M Price
February 24, 2016 @ 11:12 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

How can I get in touch with you?

Josh
May 9, 2016 @ 11:34 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Ask yourself this question:

If you are sick, would you go to someone who never went to medical school?

If your car is broken would you take it to someone who says they might fix it and was never trained in mechanics?

If you do pass the test, that doesnt mean you know what you are doing and employers will know if you dont.

Taryn
August 31, 2016 @ 4:23 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hello, do you still offer the classes?

Valerie moya
September 9, 2016 @ 4:13 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hi i know this is an old post but i was wkndering if you are still teaching a medical coding class. If so could you please contact me with information about it?
Thank you

fab
December 11, 2016 @ 8:55 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

hello may i ask where are you located? I'm from Philippines i want to ask where does the examination usually take place, how much did you pay and requirements.
because i saw a school offering medical coding but it's too expensive.
hope to receive a response from you soon. Thank you!

DY
March 4, 2016 @ 12:40 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

You don't need a formal course but you will have to study and stay focused

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc