Medical Billing Coding - Heald or MTI (Northern CA area), cpt, codes
medical billing and coding forum

BC Advantage Magazine

Billing-Coding.com

(FORUM HOME)

Schools / Colleges

New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: Heald or MTI (Northern CA area)
Topic Originator: Natasha
Post Date April 5, 2011 @ 1:23 PM
Heald or MTI (Northern CA area)

Natasha
April 5, 2011 @ 1:23 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I am interested in Medical Coding and Billing. I am completely new to the health field and have no idea where to start! I am just wondering if anybody has attended Heald or MTI College in Northern California (Sacramento)? Do the schools offer certification? Job placement? Are their programs even accredited? When you graduated, were you able to find a job quickly? I would love to know more information from people who have actually attended those schools, not from the salespeople at the colleges who are just trying to make me sign up.
Thanks!

valentine
May 16, 2011 @ 2:11 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Your question is old, but I always suggest attending your local community or technical college, they will cost less, most credits should be transferable and many offer online classes.

Heald and MTI are over priced career colleges, and you do not get a better education for how much more you pay. I would not pay more than $4,000 for a billing/coding certificate program.

No school does job placement, most can barely find extern sites much less jobs. What they offer is job assistance which is usually them telling you to look at job sites and send in your resume. They are pretty useless.

This field has become over saturated with new grads and most employers now require at least 1-2 years of coding experience. So if you look for an entry level HIM job, something in medical records, account follow up, data entry, etc. then yes, you should find a job quickly. If you are stubborn and insist on a coding job or nothing, you will be looking for awhile.

I have been coding for 6 years and we have all had to start at the bottom and work our way up, but its worth it. This really is a great field.

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc