Medical Billing Coding - How do you know the best school to go to., cpt, codes
medical billing and coding forum

BC Advantage Magazine

Billing-Coding.com

(FORUM HOME)

Schools / Colleges

New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: How do you know the best school to go to.
Topic Originator: Edna Green
Post Date March 20, 2006 @ 9:33 PM
How do you know the best school to go to.

Edna Green
March 20, 2006 @ 9:33 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

My name is Edna Green, I would love to own a medical billing business but the schools is hard to find someone told me that I need to get certified but everything cost money and i really can't afford that right now if anyone have any advice for me please feel free to contact me

Liz Jones
March 21, 2006 @ 5:20 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hi Edna -

Good question.  Be very careful when picking a school.  Make sure the instructors have real life experience and are not recent grads of the school.  Another good way to check the curriculum is to get some student evaluations.

If you are interested in classroom classes interview schools carefully.  I am in Las Vegas and most schools here cost around $10,000, you have to invest 10 months and often you do not receive your certification when you graduate.  We are the Medical Association of Billers; our school is only 1 month long, costs $2,000, and you do receive your certification upon completion. Our certification exam is given at many colleges and technical schools thought the country.

On-line classes are a cost effective alternative.  Our classes are only $189 each for members and there are 6 classes required for your certification.  Our instructors have many years experience.

There is no requirement for people to have their certification in order to bill, however by becoming certified you demonstrate your knowledge to a prospective client.  Another good way to demonstrate your knowledge is to become a Medicare Volunteer.  Every state is required to have a staff of volunteers.  States give you free Medicare training in exchange for your answering Medicare Beneficiary questions.  I have been a volunteer since 1994 and I cant say enough about how wonderful it feels to give back to our seniors.  

I hope this helps.

Liz
www.e-medbill.com

Edna Green
March 21, 2006 @ 7:38 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Thanx Liz for answering my question
do you know where i can inquire about the medicare volunteering in nyc

Tammy Harlan
April 17, 2006 @ 10:43 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hi Edna,

I just want to also reiterate the importance of finding education and instruction through those who have real world experience as opposed to being instructed by someone who has simply taken the "same course."

Many of the "BIG" courses you hear about on TV or find brochures about in your grocery store or magazine are courses who simply hire people to take the course and then send them out to become your instructor.  These people do not have real world/life experience and simply cannot answer many of the questions and concerns you may have about beginning a medical billing business.

When considering a course, the proof is in the pudding.  Ask for a list of references that you can speak to.  Don't settle for just a couple..  you want a full page to choose from.

You are not required to become certified to perform medical billing at this point in time.  But, I do agree with Liz.  The certification in a reputable course will only help you.  Steer clear of those "educators/associations" who lead you to believe that they will be providing you with a "nationally recognized certification."  This is just hype and completely false.

Tammy Harlan
Medical Billing Course.com
www.medicalbillingcourse.com

Liz Jones
April 17, 2006 @ 11:07 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hi Edna -

NY calls their organization HICAP.  Here is the link
http://hiicap.state.ny.us/

If the training in NY is anything like NV you will be very pleased.  If you need anything else please let me know.

Liz

Anonymous
July 27, 2006 @ 5:02 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

do you know how to volunteer for medicare in colorado?  where did you recieve your info?

Liz Jones
July 27, 2006 @ 1:37 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Here is a website that may help for Colorado.

http://www.coloradomedicare.com/index.asp

The SHIP phone number is 1-888-696-7213.

Medicare has a helpful contacts website at:

http://www.medicare.gov/Contacts/Include/DataSection/Questions/SearchCriteria.asp?version=default&browser=IE%7C6%7CWinXP&language=English&pagelist=Home&dest=NAV|Home|Search|SearchCriteria&Step=2&Type=ORGANIZATION#astep2  

Click on organization > select an organization > scroll down to ship.

I hope this helps.

EDNA
November 11, 2006 @ 11:23 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

i finish my course and i'm having a hard time getting work

edna
November 11, 2006 @ 11:24 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

i gotten my course completed

Liz Jones
November 14, 2006 @ 8:53 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Congratulations!

Now use the help wanted ads every Sunday and send out your resume.  Without experience the process may take time, but don't give up!

Good luck!

Jennifer
November 30, 2006 @ 1:20 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

You finished your course, but did you take the CPC or CCS-P exam?
Certification increases your chances of getting a job. Taking a course means you studied. Also, get certified in Microsoft Office products. It will help you get a job.

edna
December 1, 2006 @ 3:37 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Thank You

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc