Medical Billing Coding - Anyone heard of Allied Schools?, cpt, codes
medical billing and coding forum

BC Advantage Magazine

Billing-Coding.com

(FORUM HOME)

Schools / Colleges

New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: Anyone heard of Allied Schools?
Topic Originator: Karen
Post Date May 7, 2006 @ 4:01 PM
Anyone heard of Allied Schools?

Karen
May 7, 2006 @ 4:01 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I am contemplaing enrolling in a CPC course through Allied Schools which is an online program.  Does anyone have any info on this school as far as quality of their program?  I do know that they are an accredited program by AAPC.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Mary
May 21, 2006 @ 5:17 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I'm not sure if they are AARP recommended or not.  I can tell you that they don't seem all that complete of a course.  I did a lot of research on medical billing schools before I settled on the one I took because I had already been scammed once!  One of the things you need to look for is if they offer a lot of different types of courses.  If a course offers medical billing, coding, transcription, accounting,  interior decorating, etc they probably don't have all that much knowledge in any one and paid someone to write the course for them.  Check out www.medicalbillingcourse.com The course was written by medical billers.  They also have a wonderful student support forum that answers all of your questions throughout.  They will give you all of the resources you need to be successful.  Be wary of courses offering anatomy and medical terminology as part of their course too.  You really don't need that to be a successful medical biller!  If you have any questions, you can email Tammy Harlan at customerservice@medicalbillingcourse.com.  She or any of the moderators in the student support forum will be more than happy to answer any of your questions.  (Believe me!  I hounded poor Tammy for MONTHS before I purchased the course and I've been glad I bought it every day since!)

Lois Byrd
April 28, 2008 @ 11:25 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

i have been looking for course in Coding and billing.  I have looked at allied also and kaplin.  Im not sure about allied.. They couldn't anwer someo of my question.  What is a good on line school. I want to pass the AHIMA test...

Marina
April 29, 2008 @ 12:37 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Dear Karen and Lois,

I would recommend you to contact AAPC or look into their Online CPC Preparation Course if you want to enter the MEDICAL CODING CAREER and get certified. From AHIMA website you can also search approved CODING EDUCATION PROGRAMS at distance.

If you want to become a MEDICAL BILLER especially working from home, I would recommend the medical billing course.com.. and would recommend the Medical Association of Billers if you want to become a biller with coding skills.

That was my opinion. Good luck in finding what you're looking for.

Darlene Britton
April 30, 2008 @ 10:22 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I completed the Allied Coding Course and have recommended it to sevral people that are enrolled in it now.  I am a memeber of AAPC and on the 12th of this month sat for the CPC exam and I am excited to say that I passed and received my certificate from AAPC yesterday.  They were great in student support and financial assistance.  In my opinion, I would take the course again if I had it to do over.

Good luck in your journey,
Darlene Britton, CPC
New Member Development Officer
Montgomery Chpt AAPC

Danae
May 20, 2008 @ 7:49 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I went through the same thing looking for a really good school that teaches a "well rounded medical coding program". I wouldn't recommend Allied for nothing in the world. I am not a sales rep or anything like that...so I hope no one thinks that I am some kind of sales rep. I have done so much research on Allied it is not even funny and I see that they clearly use stuff like a offering you a free laptop just to try and get you to sign up for their medical coding program. I researched other schools too and came to the conclusion after researching for months and months that The Andrews School is one of the very best schools when trying to learn the medical coding. They are one of the ONLY schools that I noticed teach you both the inpatient and outpatient coding and both types of coding is taught separately ....not together. The cost of their program is $3,800 but that includes books and materials too. You get credited hours just as you would with Allied and also you get a 1 year free membership with the AAPC too just as Allied offers. The biggest thing to me that is very very important is that you learn how to do BOTH inpatient and outpatient coding because you make yourself much more valuable to the industry knowing both. I asked Allied about that and they told me that they teach more so the inpatient coding and it's more so physician coding than it is the hospital coding. She said that they briefly brush the surface of outpatient coding but they do not teach hospital coding. When I asked Andrew's School if they teach both physician and hospital based coding they said yes and they teach both separately. So you definitely want to make sure you find out if the medical coding program you choose is going to be more beneficial for you in that sense. They also provide you with way more books and resources to study and learn the coding too than Allied. A lot of the people that I had talked to that have went to Andrew's School also were prepared enough to take both the CPC exam with AAPC and the CCS exam with AHIMA. If you can get both your CPC and your CCS certifications you will definitely be more valuable and marketable to employers than someone with just one of them. The sad thing is that Allied's program costs 3800 and Andrew's School's program costs 3800 so when you look at the big picture and what each school has to offer you, you get more for your money with Andrew's School. More books and resources and a fully complete curriculum meaning you learn more than just one type of coding...you learn both the physician and hospital coding. What's really cool about Andrew's School too is that the owner of the school is really down to earth and sweet and she actually took the time out to answer all my questions that I had personally by phone and talked to me for over an hour. So they really do care about your concerns and try to make sure you have all questions answered before deciding. They do not pressure you either and try to offer you free stuff to take their course. Not once did she tell me lies or not be able to answer my questions and concerns in detail. So this is another reason why I have chosen to enroll in their program. The best way to see what I am saying is true is to check them out though for yourself....

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc