Schools / Colleges

New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: online or college
Topic Originator: anonymous
Post Date May 7, 2005 @ 12:57 PM
online or college

anonymous
May 7, 2005 @ 12:57 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

hi there, just wondering, is it better to do an online medical billing course or a course at a college? is there a difference between the both?

thanks

Lisa Paoli
May 9, 2005 @ 1:00 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Online courses you can take on your own pace at home and school you would have to go to the school and take it when they have scheduled classes.  Online is more convenient for working moms or dads.

Traci Quinlan-Cluff, CPC
May 9, 2005 @ 4:01 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I took a course at one of the community colleges.  I had to have prereq's and everything.  Personally, I think it would be hard taking courses online because I think I would find other things to do then my homework.

I don't know, I took my CPC test in 1998. Up to the person I think.

Joy
May 10, 2005 @ 8:01 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Depends on you really. Can you handle distractions while at home studying, or will you actually devote enough time to the course when at home?

Both have their good and bad aspects.

Online you can take the course at your own times and still work around it very easily. Where going to a college for 4 hours a day 5 days a week can really restrict your work availability whilst taking the course.

Content should be very similar in both ways.

Hope this helps...

Joy

Brenda
May 11, 2005 @ 7:31 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I've done both - I like the actual classroom setting where I can see the person teaching and listen to other's questions (ones I sometimes had also)
I felt like I had more structure and just seemed to follow the information much better.  
Reading all your information and processing it for yourself, depends alot of the authors style that is writing the information and visual aids also.  Probably there are good ones and bad ones.
I did a home study program with very boring books from the AAPC.  Also, with the books, I would run into condradictions that I had no way to clarify.  As with the teacher, you can stay behind after class and get answers that day!

anonymous
May 22, 2005 @ 6:34 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Thanks for your replys.

I think i will take the college route, as it will be good to have a teacher present and other students to ask questions or to help each other out. I've never done any training online before so don't know what the support would be like, so I think i'll go to do a college course.

thanks once again for all your help :)

Anonymous
May 23, 2005 @ 7:52 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I've done both too. The college course I took wasn't very helpful even though a teacher was present.  When I wanted to elaborate on the subject the teacher wasn't much of a help.  The teacher was trained on the subject just like I was.  When I enrolled online, I was able to talk to instructors who knew how to answer the questions I had, even if they didn't relate to the course matter.

Alec
May 26, 2005 @ 9:33 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Well, I paid almost $14,000 for my 6-month college certificate. Completed top of my class with a 3.9 GPA. Without a doubt, I learnt more in the 4-week externship that I did than within the course.

The college certificate basically read from a textbook and thats about it. The teachers were not professionals and always struggled to answer my questions.

I think that if I bought a few textbooks and studied from home, that I would of leant just as much if not more.

Help?

Alec

Brenda
June 7, 2005 @ 6:11 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I agree that it would depend alot on the teacher's you have.  I was fortunate to have all professionals that knew their stuff.  I do recall taking a "Lotus" class years ago which was taught by a man who spoke broken English and that was the worse class I had ever had.  So, level of professionalism and practical knowledge in the field is going to make or break your experience in the class room - no doubt!
And whether it be online classes or classroom setting- I think everyone will agree that  "hands on training" IS the best way to make it all click and learn the trade... but not too often will a company pick you up off the street and give you the on the job training you would need to have to be up speed.  So, we all have to suffer thru the online or classroom training just to lay the ground work.  Neither one is that wonderful, let's face it :)

Barbara
November 20, 2005 @ 7:55 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

It also depends on the type of on line program it is.  For example, the program from CRN Institute has a coach for students.  So, although the classes are on line, the students have a coach who works with them one on one on an as needed basis.

And you are right about the teacher and whether you are just being read to and how the text books and coding books are used.  Is the on line course like the University of Phoenix, where it is just an outlook express conversatin with books and reading material, or are you taught by a teacher, do you have video, shown the manuals with highlighting the key aspects of the manuals, where it is important, etc.  Not that you are watching a talking head, that you are seeing the material from the mamuals, with highlighting the key areas.  That is what you want to look for in an on line class.  And that is what you will find at CRN Institute.

When you are looking to take any class, whether live or on line, speak to the teachers, talk to the students, current or ex, find out what the experience was like and find out if they go their money's worth.  There is a huge difference in charges for these classes and different qualifications of the instructors and it is very key to make sure you get your value and meet your goals.  Also, make sure you meet your learning style.

Anonymous
July 27, 2006 @ 4:57 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

as long as your school is accredited (so you can have a tax write-off)and you do your two years it doesnt matter.  i took the one year and apprenticeship and it is harder to find a job.  it seems everyone wants that second year of experiance.

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc