Schools / Colleges

New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: Bryman College in WA State
Topic Originator: Shannon
Post Date August 10, 2005 @ 8:06 PM
Bryman College in WA State

Shannon
August 10, 2005 @ 8:06 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Anyone taken the Medical Billing Course at Bryman? If so how did you like it? Were you able to find a job soon after graduation? Is the pay what you expected?

Kelli
August 11, 2005 @ 11:35 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hi,
I went to Bryman in Lynnwood. I took their Medical Administrative Assisting. What a joke! Out dated material. Heres an example. 2 teachers 2 classes of the same course and material, but have different answers. My instructor was not very educated in the material, whereas the other instructor had actuall experience in what she was teaching. Find out what kind of credintials the instructors have, are they certified? and who are they certified by? Not some unknown.  Employers want certified experienced billers and coders today. Are the teachers up to date? I paid for worthless information that was outdated. Here is another example that the class had a problem with. Our work books came with CD roms. Practice exercises for Billing and Coding. We were givin a exact word for word exercise that came from the CD Rom, and the Instructor had different answers then what the  CD Rom did. So who was right? Not the Author of the book.
Very missleading to get you to sign them over 10 grand.
My instructer was not very educated on coding and billing. They did have some good instructors. There were alot of us very upset with being mislead and lied to. At the time I went about 2 years ago,( I finished in Jan of 04.)they were buying out Eaton in Everett when I was going. When I was done with my externship they were just putting togeather their Billing course.
Anyway I found out that I want to get my Associates degree and become a RHIT. My credits from Bryman don't mean squwat!!!!
Sometimes your lucky and actually get a job through your externship.
Heres what I do know, shop around. There are some good courses on-line offered by colleges for a fraction of the cost. You'll want to be certified, do some research on credited billing associations and what there standards are, they may even offer a billing course.
For example for me to become a RHIT. I went to AHIMA's website and they have a list of approved colleges. After completing the program with the college I can sit for the exam without restrictions. All I know is I should of done my homework, I am taking a online Coding l&ll course right now and for just under $300 I'm getting more information and knowledge then paying 10,000 dollars to Bryman, and when I am done with this course It falls under AAPC guidlines to sit for their coding exam.
P.S. Their graduation was a joke to, you have to pay to rent your gown and cap. Thats not included in 10,000.

Shannon
August 11, 2005 @ 12:53 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Wow, thanks for the heads up! I'm a little confused about what to do now. Some employers that I've talked to don't like hiring people who've only done online courses but I don't want to invest alot of time at the community college right now. So I figured my only option would be to do Bryman or some other technical college that takes about 6 months.  I wanted the option of going for my AA later on down the road but it sounds like if I do go through Bryman my credits wouldn't be applied towards a degree. So in other words I'd have to start from scratch. You mentioned that you went to Bryman for the Medical Assisting course which I'm assuming is very different than the Billing Course. Do you feel that's the reason you have to start over with a new school?  I am completely new to this so I don't understand some of the certification requirements and such. Can you tell me what is RHIT and what are AAPC Guidelines? I was told that Bryman is accredited and that you can sit for the exam upon completion of the externship. Was this not the case for you?  

BTW- Bryman quoted me at $7700 so it seems strange that you had to pay 10K two years ago.

Kelli
August 11, 2005 @ 4:54 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I know what you mean by confussed and I'm sorry. My main purpose of going to Bryman was because I wanted to do Medical Billing, I was also looking into Eaton at the time(before they decided to buy them out). They told me I would be learning Billing, Coding, Blaa,blaaa, blaaa. How that course was so much better. It was 8 modules, 1 module per month. Each module was something differnt each month and nothing was reinforced or practiced. It became dust in the wind. The last module was your externship. Each Module came to over $1000.00 and don't forget to throw in some out dated pricey work books. Keep in mind that Billing and Coding rules ect. are constantly changing, and its important that the school keeps up also and have a qualified Instructor with like credintials.. It covered very little billing and coding was from a workbook called coding for the physician. Not reality. If I am going to pay someone that much money I want reality, how its done in the real world. Actual cost was over $9,000 and don't forget the scrubs. I paid $436 in monthly installment payments to the school for 8 months and when I was done with school and no job, I had a $6,000 student loan I am still paying on. They offer different courses like Dental assisting, Medical assistant ect so each course may not cost the same.
Bryman may be a acredited college but the question is by who and who takes their credits. This is something I learned the hard way.
This is why I went to AHIMA's website( I want to get my certification through them)They have a list of aproved schools that meet their standards. AHIMA has very high standards. I spent many hours researching colleges from their list and asking a lot of questions. I will be doing it on-line. There are alot of fine colleges that offer on-line distance learning using the same material, and for less. AHIMA stands for American Health Information management Association, and AAPC stands for American Academy of Professional Coders. They both have websites. RHIT stand for Registered Health Information Technition. Each organization has certain qualifications that must be met before you can sit or receive the certification credintials. They have a packet you can download that tells you.
You mentioned you wanted to go for your AA later. Where do you want to get your AA? Find out if they accept Brymans credits. We were told about sitting for a exam, they did them there on a saturday.The type of exams they were telling us about were not reconized by the hospitals or other facilities.I don't know about now.
The reason why I wanted to be certified is because I don't have the experience, how are you supose to get experience if they only want experience Billers, Coders with at least 2 years experience. So by getting certified will allow me to show that I am qualified. I live in Eastern Washington now. Jobs are hard to come by. So I know what the employers want by their ads they run. Some of them I am qualified in except when they mention you need to know Spanish and English. Someday.
If you really want to go to Bryman interview some of the students (In private) that are currently enrolled in the class, get there honest opinion. Have you had your tour yet? I dont mean to make this more confusing for you but there are alot of us that are very unhappy with Bryman. Just do some homework, weigh your options and you have goals. Don't get burned for that much money like a lot of us did.
If you got a job from your extern, things worked out, because the employer got you for 160 hrs free of charge and you were able to prove yourself if they were looking to hire someone, because they get several students. Anyway just research your options before you fork out the big bucks.

Shannon
August 12, 2005 @ 1:03 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Kelli,

I've done a little more investigating and along with your advice I have decided to go the community college route instead of Bryman. It will take me a little longer to complete but at least it won't be a waste of time and money. I've chosen a school that is AHIMA approved so I'll be able to get the credentials I need and still have the option of going for an AA later on.

I am soooo glad I found this forum and posted this question! I have to thank you for sharing your experiences and for being so helpful!!

Pat Gonzalez
March 21, 2006 @ 5:01 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I went to a school in Chicago called Medical Careers Institute.  I also took Medical Terminology at a good community college beforehand.  I passed the CCA exam six months ago.  I don't trust any of the advertisements for how badly coders are needed from these schools.  You're better off going to a good community college program with an internship program.  Right now I can't even get hired as a registration clerk because I have "no experience".  I have to ask...with an excellent school and work record wouldn't you think they would at least LOOK at the resume?

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc