General Forum

New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: Comma is patient's name?
Topic Originator: Debbie
Post Date July 31, 2009 @ 8:54 PM
Comma is patient's name?

Debbie
July 31, 2009 @ 8:54 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I'm taking Health Insurance 101 in school and our text book says to put commas in the patient' name in box 2 on the CMS 1500 health claim form.  My instructor says that we should put spaces and not commas.  Which is the proper way to enter the patient's name?

LAST, FIRST, M
                        or
              LAST FIRST M

Thank you for your help.

Charlene
August 16, 2009 @ 2:17 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Please read what it has in the NUCC

http://www.nucc.org/images/stories/PDF/claim_form_manual_v5-0_7-09.pdf

Debbie
August 17, 2009 @ 8:18 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Charlene,
Thanks for your reply.  I had seen that but their was still a dispute in class so I wanted to see if anyone that actually did claims could tell me.  I will be putting in commas.  Again, thanks for taking the time to answer,

steve
August 25, 2009 @ 10:55 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Your instructor is teaching you what you need to know, not your fellow students.  Do you want to believe a class wannabe or your instructor?  Disputes should be brought to the attention of and settled by your instructor.

If you want to believe your fellow students who dont know diddly abot billing, feel free to listen to them and then get your claims denied and then piss off your provider who may think you dont know anything at all.  

The NUCC establishes the claim form guidelines.  Follow them.

Debbie
August 26, 2009 @ 12:34 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Thanks for your reply Steve.  My instructor was the one who asked my to see if I could find out.  She said that she never used commas but the book said to use the commas.  She wanted to know what I was able to find out.  I had looked it up on the guidelines but many sites said to use commas and many sites also said not to use them.  What we found out is that it doesn't really matter if you use them or not. The claim is NOT going to get kicked out.  Again, thanks for taking the time to answer my query.

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc