BC Advantage Magazine

General Forum

New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: billing service problem
Topic Originator: concerned
Post Date August 22, 2009 @ 8:36 AM
billing service problem

August 22, 2009 @ 8:36 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

A couple of months ago we had given our billing service 60 days notice. We did not like their attitudes of "we work for them" not "they work for us".  In addition to not using sound accounting practices. They have since pulled the plug on the remote log in prior to the 60 days notification.  Now they are holding our information hostage until we pay their a fee to get our information back in addition to a monthly fee to keep access to this data base. Is this legal?  We were using their software previously & all the information was entered remotely by us--they just billed & entered payments (which they never received actual checks--just copies)  The doctors don't want to buy our information back but just tell us to recreate the information since we do have access to the medical records.  Who has time to do that?
This has become a serious situation.  Any advice out there?

August 25, 2009 @ 9:20 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Concerned.  You should probably look at your contract and see what the rights of each party are.  Sometimes, doctors using billing services decide to bring the billing back inhouse (and this is usually a mistake for many reasons), but never look at the contract.  If you are accessing your data remotely (billing service's software), then they probably own the data that's been entered - that's the way we have it in our contract and I'd guess most billing services do.  Sometimes, inhouse personnel mistake a hard-nosed billing service employee as an enemy, when they actually have your best interests in mind.  It's better to learn to work with them - maybe even ask them to be more polite- then to try to do it yourself to prove a point.  The revenue cycle management of a medical practice requires alot more knowledge and alot more attention than most doctors office employees have - or have time to acquire and keep up with.  If your billing service has all your data, and your monthly revenue is down, you should go back, reaffirm the relationship with 'conditions', and get it back out of your office.  It will probably only be a matter of time before your employer decides you're not doing a good job, and goes back anyway.  It'd be better for you, if you're the one to suggest it, rather than her/him.
Best of Luck to you.  

August 25, 2009 @ 10:50 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Yes, hire a lawyer

August 26, 2009 @ 2:23 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

sorry, to expand on your questions, I would get set up on new software and recreate the charges you can, you can probably hire a good temp service with experience that can get it done quickly. It sounds like you were using the BS propeitary software, so when you go with a new one, they might even be able to recommend someone familiar with their product that can do it quickly as well.

TDR Mgmt
August 26, 2009 @ 3:25 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

msuiter.  you may want to rethink your contract.  When your client receives the checks, and pays you a month in arrears, the only recourse you may have is holding their data if they decide not to pay you.  I'd bet my right arm that 'concerned's' employer owes money to the former BS, and that's why they're not getting their data..  just a guess - but an educated one.

September 4, 2009 @ 12:35 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

My billing company uses a web-based software that allows the providers to see everything we do in their account.  We have a strong contract that is equitable for both parties.  It was written by attorneys and is a proper and legal document that does not create strife or anger by either party.  Our contract has a 90 to 120 day run-down time when a contract ends.  This benefits the provider and the billing company and ends in an amiable manner.

August 26, 2009 @ 2:20 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

They probably own the data and it might be better at this point just to start new, rather than continuing in a bad relationship. I am one of the few billing services that operates with my providers owning the data, most billing services hold it over the providers head, that just seems bad business to me even if it is legal.

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc