General Forum

New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: EOB & Superbill Retention
Topic Originator: Jana M.
Post Date September 17, 2009 @ 3:05 PM
EOB & Superbill Retention

Jana M.
September 17, 2009 @ 3:05 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I'm trying to find out how long we have to keep insurance EOB's and Superbills before destroying them.  I've tried a number of different places to get the info, but no one seems to have an answer.  Does anyone know for sure?

steve
September 27, 2009 @ 10:10 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

EOBs and superbills are financial documents.  Financial records retention are regulated by the IRS

If you scan them, and burn the scanned image to DVD, you can keep them as long as you might need them without taking up physical storage space.

Jana M.
September 28, 2009 @ 10:17 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

So they don't follow any of the rules of the medical records retention.  We keep them as long as we need for tax purposes only.  Is that right?

Michael Hunt
October 11, 2009 @ 12:10 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Forever

CFR2515-101-3

Marianne
March 2, 2010 @ 8:19 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Once I scan the superbill & EOB to DVD what happens if I need to retrieve a specific patient's information?  How do I locate it on the DVD?  How do you label the DVD's?

Jana M
March 2, 2010 @ 11:11 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I've started scanning my EOBs.  The way I store them is just as if you were filing them.  For instance, Medicare EOBs, I have a file named Medicare 2010 and within that, I have a folder for the date that I posted the EOB.  That way if you ever have to go back all you have to do is use the post date of the payment/adjustment.  Makes it really easy to find what you need.

Hope this helps!

Dan Young
March 30, 2010 @ 4:27 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

You should look into web-based software that utilizes document storage.  Providers can scan at the office and billers and posters can open it up at the BO.

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc