General Forum

New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: Nurse visits
Topic Originator: Diana Snnader
Post Date November 6, 2009 @ 2:36 PM
Nurse visits

Diana Snnader
November 6, 2009 @ 2:36 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

How do I bill a nurse visit for immunizations when the patient needs to catch up because of being behind .The patient has missed appointments?

How do I bill for wound care? The doctor saw the patient and wants the patient to come back in a few days to have the dressing changed by the nurse.

The patient comes in for a flu shot?

The doctor wants the patient to see the nurse for weight control education?

brian
November 10, 2009 @ 11:33 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

99211- "office or other outpatient visit for the evaluation and management of an established patient that may not require the presence of a physician."
Codes for the apropriate vaccine, supply, and administration codes should also be used.

Diana
November 10, 2009 @ 8:50 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Thanks for your reply,
Other than the CPT book, do you know where I can find this documentation. I have found the guidelines on the ODJFS website before, but for some reason I can not locate them again.

lori
November 15, 2009 @ 9:52 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Unless you are addressing another problem other than injections, you cannot bill a 99211.  You should only bill the injection and meds/vaccines codes.  

You can bill a nurse visit based on counseling for weight mgmt using the icd-9 codes found under counseling and possibly the problem, ie: obesity, diabetes, htn.

The physician can bill for ongoing wound mgmt based on the appropriate e&m along w/ supplies used.  Usually this is a 99212 or 99213. Possibly may need to bill based on time spent as well.

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc