General Forum

New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: HIPAA compliance date
Topic Originator: Kerry Okdahi
Post Date March 17, 2005 @ 9:02 PM
HIPAA compliance date

Kerry Okdahi
March 17, 2005 @ 9:02 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

What is the date for manditory HIPAA compliance. Hope it has not already passed....

Urgent please!

Also should all my staff do the HIPAA certificate or just my Office Manager?

Thanks
Kerry

Admin
March 21, 2005 @ 11:44 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

The compliance date for the HIPAA Security Standards is April 21, 2005. So you still have a few more weeks!

Glenda
July 25, 2005 @ 4:30 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hi,

I am looking for a model of a compliance plan.  What are the steps to becoming HIPAA compliant?  Are there applications to be completed? Registration numbers to be applied for?  What is the procedure?

Thank you.

Glenda Mayes
gmmayes@sbcglobal.net

Cyndee Weston
July 28, 2005 @ 12:27 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Glenda:

When you talk about compliance, do you mean OIG (office of inspector general) compliance for 3rd party billing guidelines? If so, you may find a model compliance plan online or you can obtain one through AMBA.

If you're talking strictly about HIPAA, there really is no model policy and procedure manual that I know of because no one office is the same. Many privacy forms and some security forms are available free on the internet or you can buy privacy and security toolkits to help you comply.

Bottom line though, is that you really need to assess your business based on what you are doing for your billing office, not someone elses.

There are no applications or registration numbers to apply for, you just simply start a policy and procedure manual that addresses the required provisions, like how you protect paper records from getting into the wrong hands, what you will do if you learn that information has been wrongfully disclosed or how you will protect your computer system from viruses, spyware and other threats.

Complying with HIPAA requirements is no easy task. You should go to CMS' website at http://www.cms.hhs.gov/hipaa/hipaa2/default.asp  There's a wealth of info there.

Cyndee Weston
http://www.ambanet.net/AMBA.htm

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc