General Forum

New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: Almost finished with school
Topic Originator: Athena
Post Date August 16, 2006 @ 7:40 PM
Almost finished with school

Athena
August 16, 2006 @ 7:40 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I will be finished with school in December.  I am actually quite terrified of going into the medical billingfield because I donthave any experience.  I would love to work from home but I am willing to go into an office just to get the experience.  Any sugggestions would be appreciated.

Duane Johnson
August 23, 2006 @ 10:20 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hello there!  

Check us out at www.synergymis.com for assistance with setting up your medical billing center.  We have approximately 1,600 medical billing center clients throughout the US and have been offering a turn-key solution for medical billers for over 26 years.  Feel free to email me directly with any quesitons.  

Have a great Wednesday!

Steve Verno
August 30, 2006 @ 8:56 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

In addition to whatDuane has to offer, it is a scary place out there.  I am merely telling you the truth.  Even for someone with experience, it can be hard to find work in this business.  For 6 months, I was turned down by every hospital and doctor in an 80 mile radius.  I have 32 years experience in this business.  I asked why they refused to hire me.  Everyone gave me the same answer:  I am overqualified for the position.  Funny thing, we never talked about money.  I was willing to work for what they offered.  I even told them that.  But, I was overqualified.  In my opinion, it wasn't that I was overqualified.  The problem was that I was a man and they were actually looking for a female.  I know because at one office, there was another applicant with me for the interview.  She had NO experience.  They interviewed us and called us back and told the no experience lady she was hired and they smiled at me and said they were sorry but I was overqualified.  Oh well.  

Many times, no experience can be a blessing because you haven't picked up any bad habits.  I can't tell you how many times I would hire someone and hear, "That's not the way I do it."   Well, I don't want you to do it your way. That is outdated and I want you to do it the right way.  

Although things can be scary, know that somewhere out there, someone is going to need your help.  You need to get the word on you out there and you need to keep applying.  Rome wasn't built in a day and the Berlin Wall took time to come down.  One blow didn't make it happen.  Look in your phone book for billing companies and practices.  Offer your services doing A/R recovery.  Offer to do an intership for an hour a day.  I went to my physician for a physical.  When I came out, he was a client and I worked in the office on weekends doing his A/R.

As more and more people get into our field of business, the opportunities for work will be slim. That is a reality. But there will be opportunities.  You have to keep your eyes and ears open.  My first job was because I saw a paper ad on a bulletin board at the local vo-tech.  I had no training or experience, but I had a medical clinical background.  They hired me and trained me.  I eventually became "overqualified" but, as i said, for 6 months, no one would hire me.  It's hard to be 53 years old and you lose your job at Christmas.  But, I stuck it out.  I took the rejections and kept looking.  I knew I wasn't overqualified.  But, I kept at it.  You can't wait for something to come to you. You have to go after what is out there.   Never give up.  Look at each refusal as a success.  One down and 10,000 to go.  Always ask yourself before you go onto the next:  What can I do better next time, not what did I do wrong at this last one.

Good luck to you.

Tammy Harlan
September 1, 2006 @ 12:10 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Definitely look into Synergy MIS.  Many years back, this was the company who made me successful when I began my business.  They were known as Santiago back then (I actually bought this company and brought it from California to Indiana) and was able to do that because of my success in my medical billing business.  I no longer own that company but they are still your best bet to success in this industry.

Without any experience whatsoever, with their guidance (which has only improved over the years from excellent to BEYOND EXCELLENT), I had my first client within 30 days of beginning my business.  I signed client #2 in my second month, and clients 3, 4 and 5 in my fifith month.  My business grew rapidly because I followed their direction and never missed a conference!

I published a chiropractic billing manual which I sold nationwide and the rest is history.

Have healthy fear.  When fear takes over and stumps your growth...  get rid of it.  Feel the fear and just do it anyway!

Tammy Harlan
Medical Billing Course, LLC
www.medicalbillingcourse.com

Athena
September 1, 2006 @ 5:16 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Thanks for the advice. Any other advice u can provide would be appreciated.

Athena
September 4, 2006 @ 3:16 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Duane I dont have your email to you any other questions

Athena
September 4, 2006 @ 3:36 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

To Duane

Sorry about the grammar.  Not feeling to good.  What I wanted to say is that I dont have your email address to send you any other questions that I may have.  Mine is athenaford06@yahoo.com or athenascrafts1@aol.com

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc