medical billing and coding forum

BC Advantage Magazine

General Forum

New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: Marketing
Topic Originator: Pam
Post Date July 13, 2008 @ 4:14 PM

July 13, 2008 @ 4:14 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I love the medical billing business, but I absolutely hate marketing.  Does anyone know of a firm that does marketing, such as calling on physicians, etc. and specializes in the medical billing area?  I need someone that will do the front end work and set up the appointments -- just get me in the door.

Michelle Rimmer
July 14, 2008 @ 8:54 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

We all wish we had that :-)

I know, marketing can be tough, but is well worth it when you get the signed contract!  Have you tried faxing your flier to newspaper ads for all 'Medical' classifieds?  

Sorry, But I know of no companies that do your marketing for you to get appts with potential clients.......

Good Luck!!

steve verno
July 14, 2008 @ 11:25 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

There are some companies that offer these services, for a fee.  ARe they good or bad.  I cant ay on each one.  Over the years, I have read horror stories of people forking over their money and getting an outdated list of so-called providers needing billers.  

Some complaints say that many numbers on the list are out of service with addresses that of an abandoned building or local fast food place.

As yourself, when was the last time you were on an offramp and there was a person with a cardboard sign that said"  Need Medical Biller!  Will Work for Claims."  

Last, please dont fall for the 'Get a list of doctors that dont send claim electronicaly to Medicare"  That died with HIPAA as many doctors now have to send their claims electronicaly to Medicare to be paid."  MY local Medicare refuses paper claims.  

Best thing to do is to hire a person yourself with training in medical billing and knows how to market and has marketing skills.  You can check with a local temp service for help.

July 14, 2008 @ 4:24 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Thanks Steve.  I hadn't thought about going through a temp agency.  That's a good idea.  I appreciate your help.

Michelle Rimmer
July 15, 2008 @ 12:04 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

You are always so helpful Steve!! :-)  But for me, personally, I would never have someone else do this for me.....what happens if the 'person' she hires does cold calling--or goes from office to office and happens to get a provider who wants to talk 'NOW'---no-one can answer the questions better for what you will do for them--than YOU--yourself.......I would hate to see the hired person be stumped by a question that he/she could not answer

Nah.........not for me  :-)

Dan Young
July 24, 2008 @ 5:42 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Here are some tthings we tried that I wish we had saved our money on:

1.  The mailing list.  This was a big waste of money and time.
2.  The marketing firm:  They do not know the market, and they cannot get you in the door.
3.  Yellow pages:  Providers don't look there.
4.  Magazines:  Ads look good but no bites on this too.
5.  Phone calls:  Can't get past the front desk.

What did work:

1.  Walking in the front door and trying to get to the manager and/or provider.
2.  Walking in the front door and trying to get to the manager and/or provider.
3.  Walking in the front door and trying to get to the manager and/or provider.
4.  Walking in the front door and trying to get to the manager and/or provider.

You get the picture?  This process took three of us and when avalable our fourth partner, into hundreds of practices, looking for that one practice that is hurting and needs us.

Now we have to put potential clients on a waiting list until we can move into our new building.

We will be celibrating our 5th year this November, and this is the best year of our practice.

August 18, 2008 @ 3:25 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I'm trying to reply to this Dan's post but keep getting a message that I'm using "inappropriate" words!

August 18, 2008 @ 3:30 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Let's try again:  I am working for an established billing company calling on doctor's offices.  I'm doing as you suggest, walking in the front door.  I have a short "pitch" that I give to the desk to try and get to the doctor or practice manager.  Most of the time I do not.  Can you provide some specific examples with regard to your approach inside the office?  Also, any advice that you might have with regard to offices to target would be most helpful and appreciated as well.

Tammy Harlan
August 21, 2008 @ 8:14 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

When I started many years back, I didn't like marketing either.  That is understandable.

Our billing centers have access to an "Account Manager" who will speak to prospective clients on your behalf, regarding what you are able to do for them..  how you are able to benefit them.  They speak "marketing wise" and "technical wise".  This to me, is invaluable.

Of course, you will need to also present your benefits, but the assistance of a knowledgable person in the field, explaining the servies you are able to provide and supporting your client on the access of his software program (knowing the software).. is a huge benefit.  

Tammy Harlan
Medical Billing
(865) 286-9124

October 27, 2008 @ 5:46 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hello Don, et. al.,

Sorry this is late in replying, but business has been heating up lately.

We are a couple of weeks away from signing off on the TI of our new building.  HooRay!  And potential clients keep calling.

So, Don, you asked, what works inside the office?  There is no "one" thing that works.  

If you see the front desk person is harried, then she may be overworked and needs your help.  If you find out the doctor's wife works there, she may need your help.  You may have to try out different diagnostic questions, as you make quick observations of the office.  

You can just ask outright, "Do you have a biller, or do you outsource your billing?"

You can ask if the office manager is available.  Or, ask to see the Doctor.  

You can just go in and pick up the business cards and memorize the names on the cards.  Go back a week later and ask to see one of the providers or anyone else on the cards.  Learn the name of the front desk person and USE IT.

Join a local BNI or go to, or join other types of networking groups.  We are members of a local BNI, and no other medical billers can join.  

Become a business associate of a Compliance Officer.  Join your local medical billing and coding groups.  Join local Chamber of Commerce groups, they usually have providers as members.  Go to the local "hospital Provider recruiter" and make yourself known.  Take her/him out to lunch.  Have professional quality brochures and business cards that get attention, that get comments like, "that is a nice card."  We use a two sided glossy card that cannot be written on.  we also have our own glossy folders that can hold many documents for larger presentations than just a brochure.

And don't forget about branding.  Your company needs to have a brand name and logo.  The logo must be something that gets attention without overwhelming your company name.

let me know if this helps.

Dan Young
Resolutions Billing & Consulting, Inc.

October 29, 2008 @ 4:55 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Thanks for your reply, Dan - I really appreciate your taking a few moments to share some ideas.  I do have a question that you didn't address; specifically, is there a specialty, or other identifier, that makes an office more likely to choose to outsource?  Also, as I'm going through my offices, I'm compiling data such as which offices are currently outsourcing, and which ones handle billing inside.  Is one of these two groups more likely than the other to be a good prospect?

November 3, 2008 @ 6:02 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hello Don,

WE have gotten business from both sides of the billing spcetrum.  There is one sure way of getting business, but it requries you to have already estabished some business.  This called "referrals."

You have to go to your current providers and request that they give you referrals.  These need to be providers that your clients will be good references for.  

You also need to have a good rapport with your software company so you can get referrals from that source.

Expand your network by asking people you meet how their doctor is doing in his/her practice.   We have gotten leads this way.

Pay attention to what others advise you on.   Such as, become a speaker on a topic that will be meaningful to various groups.  Make yourself known to any organization that you can.  Network with drug reps.  I am sure that you have met some drup reps in the offfices you have gone into.  

Everyone is a source.  You just have to get out and find the right sources at the right time.

Merrilee Severino
October 31, 2008 @ 7:55 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I LOVE low cost marketing!   One of the services I provide in my biz is low cost marketing plans...  

One of the BEST things you can do YOURself is to network locally- speak at office manager groups etc and offer tips etc for local hospital newsletters with your biz contact in bi-line.

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc