Medical Billing Coding - online resources for coding/billing instructors, cpt, codes
medical billing and coding forum

BC Advantage Magazine

Billing-Coding.com

(FORUM HOME)

Online Resources

New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: online resources for coding/billing instructors
Topic Originator: handmaid
Post Date December 13, 2007 @ 1:42 PM
online resources for coding/billing instructors

handmaid
December 13, 2007 @ 1:42 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

There is a new online resource that I put together for coding and billing instructors.

handmaid
December 13, 2007 @ 1:45 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

It is a Webgroup called Medical_Coding_Instructors.
Contact me for more information--it is free.
cmbenjamin@bellsouth.net

Carlissa Smith
December 14, 2007 @ 5:45 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hi Cynthia,

I would like more information.  Thanks.

handmaid
December 18, 2007 @ 10:35 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hi all:
Please email me at cmbenjamin@bellsouth.net or provide your email where I can email you.  I tried to post all of the information on the board, but it gave me an error message when I tried to do so.

Thx

KC
December 24, 2007 @ 7:06 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Make sure you get your information from a certificed instructor.  Contact me for more information
  MedicalCoding.Instructor@gmail.com

handmaid
December 25, 2007 @ 6:06 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hi all,
I have recently added some more information about where to find test banks, study helps, and more for the students we teach to this Webgroup (Medical_Coding_Instructors).  Email me directly to my address if you have any further questions.

Merry Christmas!
Christina Benjamin, RHIA, CCS, CCS-P
Independent Coding and Education Consultant
Georgia
Email: cmbenjamin@bellsouth.net

Michelle
February 22, 2008 @ 5:05 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hi,

How do I get to your new forum for Medical Coding Instructors?

Thanks

Christine
February 24, 2008 @ 5:32 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I have over 20 years of billing and coding experience.  Make sure you get your info from experienced professionals who have been in the billing profession ; what you learn in a book is not the same as in the real world.

Medical_Coders_Resource_Networking_Group on yahoo

handmaid
March 3, 2008 @ 9:40 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hi,
I recently started sending out a newsletter to my teacher group.  It is called Educator Echoes and will be including columns on learning styles and how to adapt your teaching style accordingly, information on recommended textbooks, and information to help you stay updated on important changes in the field.  To sign up, simply email me at cmbenjamin@bellsouth.net

Christina

handmaid
March 3, 2008 @ 9:48 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hi Michelle,
It is a yahoo Web forum called Medical_Coding_Instructors.
Christina

Bee
April 1, 2008 @ 3:39 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I saw your post.  Could you please send me the website.

Thank You!!

Bee

Kim
April 2, 2008 @ 5:56 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I would like information about how and what you are teaching your student in class.  I have 27 years in the business.  Any thing would help. New and old things.

Chris
April 2, 2008 @ 5:18 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I recently accepted a teaching position at MedVance Institute and would aprreciate all the information I could get from your newsletter or website.

Thanks,

Chris Hash, CPC

Julie Pope
April 2, 2008 @ 10:02 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I am interested in more information on these resources.   I am the medical coding program director at our local college.   I am always in favor of netrworking and resource opportunities.

Look forward to hearing back from you.

Julie Pope, CMA, CPC, CPC-H, CPC-I

Christine
June 14, 2008 @ 12:42 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Come join my group I have a couple of different ones but start at

Medical_Coders_Resource_Group on yahoo.  I have one for instructors also as I have been an certified instructor for 10 years.

One piece of advice besure you get your teaching info from someone who has been teaching for awhile, let someone else make the mistakes from bad advice.

Rajesh
July 8, 2008 @ 8:10 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hi Christina

I have read your messages. Could you pleae send me more information to my email id : raj_patel_05@hotmail.com

tx
rajesh

steve verno
July 9, 2008 @ 5:01 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

In m last oding class before my stroke, I always used sanitized medical records so my students could get a feel for what is out there.  Everything from a hand written record to a T system chart. The first thing the students said, "We cant code these because we cant read the doctors handwriting."  By the time they finish their their training, they're coding from these real charts.  Again, they are sanitized to protect real PHI.  One student obtained a jb while in class and she came to work proud saying the charts at work were worse than the ones in class so she had no problems coding at work.  She did great in class and scored in the low 90s on her final test.  

IN my billing classes, the students get sanitized real payment or denial eobs,  aging reports, insurance remittances, and health insurance cards, so that they see the differences in the same insurance company's HMO or PPO card.  I have my students do real appeals on the denials for their homework.

I personnaly want to make my classes as real as possible so that the transition to real work is not that great and there are no excuses, I didnt learn that in class.

One student told me, with a document I brought to class, that she felt the asignment was too hard, my answer was, this is what I was given to resolve in real life today and you might get the same thing on your first day on the job, so what will you tell your employer when handed this?  Usually in the 7th week of training, someone always says,  How do these people dog this without any training? I say they cant or I get the student that says they got their first job and the people I work with and work for have no training and they have no clue about how to do this. The student is proud of what they can accomplish when presented with real world problems and the confidence that they can work through the problem.

steve verno
July 18, 2008 @ 7:31 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Just fyi, I applied to the following Yahoo Group and received the followind e-mail:

Your request to join the Medical_Coders_Resource_Networking_Group group was not approved.

The moderator of each Yahoo! group chooses whether to restrict
membership in the group. Moderators who choose to restrict
membership also choose whom to admit.

I also received the folowing e-mail

Hello

Thank you for wanting to join our group.  We are always sorry to see a member go and if you unsubscribed please tell us why.

If you were rejected or banned it was because you did not fill out the form below completely and honestly or because someone who has been banned from the group is trying to obtain information from this group and has used our documentation claiming it is their own.  They were banned for unprofessional behavior and we were advised they could be having you obtain it for them.

I dont know what this is about.  I have yet to be approved to join this site, so how can I obtain anything for someone else.

handmaid
August 5, 2008 @ 4:50 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Steve,
You are welcome to join my group and I think I did accept you into one of them recently.  

The moderator of the Medical_Coders_Resource_Networking_Group does not always approve other colleagues in the industry and has also banned some of them from the group without explanation.  I find it very difficult to recommend this group due to this reason as well as other reasons even though there is some good information on the group.

Christina

steve verno
August 6, 2008 @ 5:27 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

On the instructors group site, I just uploaded some of my test databanks and powerpoint presentations to share with other instructors.  I have tons of more stuff due to my teaching for more than 36 years.

BTW, for BC Advantage folks, yesterday, i did my first audio seminar since my stroke.  it is on Provider Contracts

Today, I will be doing anotjher one on appeals and values.  Look for them soom on BC Advantage

Creative
August 6, 2008 @ 10:52 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I would like more information. Please sent the link. Thank you

steve verno
August 7, 2008 @ 4:52 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Handmaid,

I added two new powerpoint presentations I creayed today to the instructor website:

Intermediate CPT and ICD-9 training.

Karen Seifert
September 14, 2008 @ 1:16 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Steve
Where did you get the following?
"IN my billing classes, the students get sanitized real payment or denial eobs,  aging reports, insurance remittances, and health insurance cards, so that they see the differences in the same insurance company's HMO or PPO card.  I have my students do real appeals on the denials for their homework"
kfor your time
Karen

steve verno
September 15, 2008 @ 10:10 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Karen

The charts and eobs are my personal charts and eobs.  Some eobs were my deceased aunts. I had her written permission to use them in my classes, with all personal info removed.

steve verno
September 29, 2008 @ 10:52 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Ive added many powerpoint presentations to the website:

2009 ICD09 Changes
ICD-10 Changes
Modifier 25 and 59
Provider Health Insurance Contracting

Ive also added some new guides I created

ICD-10 for General Surgery
ICD-10 for Opthalmology
ICD-10 for Radisation Oncology
Appeals

Enjoy but please dont forget who created them.

mary
July 7, 2010 @ 8:47 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I just saw this and was wondering if it was still available? thanks

Karen Baker
December 14, 2007 @ 12:25 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I would like more information.  Thank you.

Cynthia Reneau, CPC
December 15, 2007 @ 10:12 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hi, Cynthia!

I would love to have more info on this sight!
Thanks!

Pam
April 2, 2008 @ 7:16 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I would be interested in the website.

Thanks!

Martin Conroy
April 2, 2008 @ 8:14 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I have agrred to teach CPT coding at the local community college and would be interested in you online resources for instructors.

Marty

codegirl
April 2, 2008 @ 6:55 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I saw your post.  Could you please send me the website. I would like additional information.

Thank You,
my email: jhs91903@yahoo.com

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc