Online Resources

New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic: inpatient coding
Topic Originator: shelby
Post Date January 19, 2008 @ 10:28 PM
inpatient coding

shelby
January 19, 2008 @ 10:28 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

I am a certified medical coder (cpc-a) for a large surgical practice. would the cca (and eventually the ccs) credential be the best route for me to take if I am wanting to eventually (like 5 or so years from now) be an inpatient coder? I'm still not really sure what the difference is between the cpc and ccs or even cpc-h credential is. If anyone has information on the difference between these credentials, i would really appreciate it! Thanks!

handmaid
January 21, 2008 @ 9:56 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Hi Shelby,
The CPC-H is an exam that is open-book and multiple choice only and covers hospital outpatient billing and coding.  The CCS is an exam that is closed book and multiple choice and then also includes a whole section with medical record cases that must be coded free-lance.  There are inpatient and outpatient cases to code.  Your best option for inpatient coding is to eventually get the CCS as it is the only credential for hospital inpatient coding.  Feel free to email me for more information regarding studying for the CCS and learning inpatient coding.  One of my specialities is tutoring coders that are interested in inpatient coding and the CCS credential.
Christina (cmbenjamin@bellsouth.net)

Deborah Wells
April 18, 2008 @ 11:12 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Christina,
I have had my CCS for 6 years now and I am an inpatient coder at a Veterans hospital in GA.  I am interested in coding inpatient or outpatient from home. I also have my CPC certification and did mostly E&M coding and surgical outpatient coding.  If you know of anyone looking for a part-time remote coder, please let know.

Thanks,
Deborah Wells, CCS, CPC

Phone number 478-279-4658(cell#)

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc