(FORUM HOME)

General Forum

New Topic  |  Search

Thread Topic:
Topic Originator:
Post Date @

Linda Walker
March 10, 2009 @ 8:22 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

This isn't just about "jobs" or American jobs, this is a bigger issue. Right now there are NO pending actions or legislation that prohibits any company (healthcare or otherwise) from sending personal information overseas. That's right, your physician, your employer or your insurance company could very well be sending YOUR personal information overseas! Foreign countries are NOT governed by US Privacy or HIPAA law. What does that mean? Simply put, it means once your personal information leaves the U.S. it leaves US, THE CONSUMER exposed to such things as fraud and identity theft!

It is bad enough that offshore companies are stealing American jobs, but our personal information and the right to KNOW where it goes is the issue on the front Line.
IF YOU THINK YOU HAVE A RIGHT TO KNOW WHERE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION IS GOING.....................SUPPORT OUR CAUSE!

Please Visit and sign our position and let your voice be heard!

www.rallycongress.com/support-for-h-r-427-nabopia/

Full Text of H.R. 427

111th CONGRESS

1st Session

H. R. 427

To prohibit the transfer of personal information to any person or business outside the United States, without notice.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

January 9, 2009

Mr. POE of Texas introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on Financial Services

A BILL

To prohibit the transfer of personal information to any person or business outside the United States, without notice.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `Notify Americans Before Outsourcing Personal Information Act'.

SEC. 2. PROTECTION OF PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE INFORMATION FROM UNAUTHORIZED TRANSFER.

(a) In General- A business shall not transfer personally identifiable information regarding a citizen of the United States to any foreign affiliate or subcontractor located in another country without providing that citizen written notice that such information may be transferred to such foreign affiliate or subcontractor.

(b) Plain Language Requirement- Written notice must be sent by regular mail, not e-mail, and separate from any other financial disclosure or information. It must be written in easily understandable, plain language.

(c) Notice Period- Written notice must be provided to a citizen of the United States at least ninety (90) days before such information may be transferred to any foreign affiliate or subcontractor.

SEC. 3. PRIVATE CAUSE OF ACTION.

To enforce compliance with this Act, to obtain damages, including compensatory and punitive; to obtain injunctive relief; and to obtain any other compensation, a private cause of action in State court is authorized.

SEC. 4. EFFECTIVE DATE.

This Act shall take effect on the 90th day beginning after the date of the enactment of this Act.

SEC. 5. DEFINITIONS.

As used in this Act, the following definitions apply:

(1) BUSINESS- The term `business' means any financial institution that collects or retains personally identifiable information.

(2) PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE INFORMATION- The term `personally identifiable information' includes information such as, but not limited to:

(A) name;

(B) postal address;

(C) financial information;

(D) date of birth;

(E) phone number (landline and/or cell phone);

(F) e-mail address;

(G) social security number;

(H) mother's maiden name;

(I) password for access to electronic Internet records;

(J) driver's license number; and

(K) personal tax information.

www.rallycongress.com/support-for-h-r-427-nabopia

Linda Walker
PMRNC
www.billerswebsite.com

Karen
March 16, 2009 @ 12:57 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

You are right on Linda!  I'm posting the link to this whereever I can.

Git-R-Done!  Keep American jobs, American money and personal American information in AMERICA!  

Karen

Linda Walker
March 17, 2009 @ 7:10 AM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Thanks Karen.
I am also pursuing something that will go on whether this is passed or not as I believe it's at the base of the problem. EDUCATING healthcare providing and showing them all the reasons WHY they shouldn't be using offshore services.
It will be a completely free resource/advocate based site where anyone in the healthcare services industry can go to learn more to educate their clients or potential clients.

www.stopoffshoreoutsourcing.us

rich simon
July 22, 2018 @ 4:32 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Linda:

Saw your post from 2009. At CodersDirect we are trying to accomplish the same thing on a State level. We have met with our Assemblyman and Congressman.

It is 2018, hopefully you made some headway. Please email me at Rsimon@CodersDirect.com or call 908 303-8229.

Thanks,

Rich

rich simon
July 22, 2018 @ 4:32 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

Linda:

Saw your post from 2009. At CodersDirect we are trying to accomplish the same thing on a State level. We have met with our Assemblyman and Congressman.

It is 2018, hopefully you made some headway. Please email me at Rsimon@CodersDirect.com or call 908 303-8229.

Thanks,

Rich

Linda Walker
July 22, 2018 @ 7:27 PM Reply  |  Email Friend   |  |Print  |  Top

No, these bills fail because the right audience is not being reached. As billers and coders we are somewhat biased and we are educated. Over the years there have been several bills in the house that die before going anywhere. The H.R. 427 had the most chance of all because patient's protection was the #1 goal. As coders and billers are motives are somewhat selfish because of job protection. Educating patients and making them aware of the dangers their physicians and insurance companies put their private information out there is the real way to make a difference. Outside of that it's really a waste of time and efforts. Consumer and patient awareness and education is a better way to go. I'm currently thinking of a non-profit organization that will do just that.

I particularly feel the frustration of coders having to maintain their certifications with the very organization directly responsible for the expanding market overseas. The AAPC is directly training, educating and providing references and study materials for far less than they do their own American Coders. If I were certfied with the AAPC I'd START right there.

Linda Walker
PMRNC
www.billerswebsite.com

Copyright © 2008 Billing-Coding Inc